Why Caverns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic

Eternalknight

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  13:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! Just wondering: How did you come to the decision of doing Caverns of the Snow Witch first? Why not, say, Citadel of Chaos?

jamie

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  14:42:14  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr. Knight

This is an easy one to answer: Here in the Uk the FF books have been re-released with new, improved Cover Art (Martin McKenna, who is our art director and did the internal illustrations on Warlock did several of the new covers). We wanted our release shedule to coinside with release of the new FF books (Caverns was re-released the same weekend as we released it). I dont think this will be happeneing in the future though.

next out are Sorcery 1 and Deathtrap Dungeon

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  09:30:02  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ah cool, thanks for the answer :) We have had them released here in Oz as well, though I haven't picked any up as I have the whole (original) series.
Go to Top of Page

jamie

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  10:36:20  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All 59 books? wow... well done.

My Mum sold all mine when I left home (many moons ago. I am now in the long process of finding and collecting them all again!!!
Not doing too bad though. I have about 50 but this consists of several of one book but with a different edition cover (6 Warlocks for example). I also managed to get Dungeoneer, Port Blacksand and The Riddling Reaver. My pride of place has to go to Sorcery 1-4 which Steve Jackson gave me..... signed

I would love to collect any foriegn covers as well. I hear the US ones have VERY different covers to the Uk ones.

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  12:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost certain the Aussie ones are identical to the English ones :)

The only FF books I'm missing are two of the novels (Demonstealer and Shadowmaster) as well as the 10th anniverssary book. I even have Clash of the Princes, which I hear is fairly hard to get

Can you tell I'm a FF (and gamebook in general) fan?
Go to Top of Page

robsterman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  15:20:34  Show Profile  Visit robsterman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is so awesome to see FF alive and well. I'm a huge fan of the series, and, although saddended that there are no new books, I am glad to see that many people are experiencing FF for the first time.

Thanks to the Aussies, I was able to finish my collection (51-59 are tough to get). The novels are, in my opinion, not worth the money, and the poster book and 10th Anniversary edition are also highly overrated. Also, Ian Livingstone's Legend of Greymoon is poor.

So, outside of the 59 books, what do I recommend?

The Sorcery series (plus the Spell Book)
The Warlock magazines (1-13)
Casket of Souls and Tasks of Tantalon
Introduction to Gaming (by Ian Livingstone)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain boardgmae (The Legend of Zagor one is to be avoided)

Happy hunting,

Robsterman
Go to Top of Page

Yaztromo

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  16:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robsterman, how could you forget Titan, Port blacksand and Dungeoneer? Absolute essentials IMO. As we're on the subject though- anyone care to share their favourite FF gamebooks here? Mine always was, and still is Forest of Doom, with Masks of Mayhem and Deathtrap Dungeon very close behind.

Witty phrase pending.
Go to Top of Page

jamie

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  16:33:43  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For me, my favorites are: The Sorcery! Quintet and FoD.

some close runners up: Warlock, City of Thieves and Deathtrap Dungeon

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD
Go to Top of Page

robsterman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  22:54:32  Show Profile  Visit robsterman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. Favorite FF books???

This isn't some nameless plug, but my board has the first 25 FF books ranked from worst to best. Check it out.

http://robsterman.hyperboards.com/index.cgi?board=FF

Note: My favorite gamebook has not yet been mentioned within this board.

Since the Sorcery books are not included, I'd like to add that they are awesome. A multi-part adventure was something unheard of 20 years ago. Kudos to Steve Jackson for pushing the envelope.

However, Titan, Port Blacksand, and Dungeoneer -- I couldn't get into those books (does anyone want to buy them?). Honestly, I never used the dice, and really wanted to see all of the different ways a person could die, as well as map out the "best" way to complete a FF adventure.

That may be a question -- who uses the dice to play v. just reads the text.

Also, inspired by these books, I completed three online FF adventures:

The Crypts of Confusion (which will be published later this year)
http://robsterman.hyperboards.com/index.cgi?board=crypts

The Two Towers (based on the LOTR novel)
http://robsterman.hyperboards.com/index.cgi?board=towers

The Ultimate Camping Trip
http://robsterman.hyperboards.com/index.cgi?board=camping

PLEASE NOTE: The Ultimate Camping Trip has an (M) rating, and should not be read by anyone under 17.
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  02:54:31  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Favourites? The Sorcery! series is definately up there, I'm quite fond of Night Dragon, as well as Robot Commando believe it or not. Absolute favourite? Deathtrap Dungeon.
Go to Top of Page

robsterman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  15:12:00  Show Profile  Visit robsterman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first FF book was Citadel of Chaos, so that always has a warm, fuzzy feeling for me. However, I'd have to say that Creature of Havoc is the best FF book. That is, once you get out of the dungeon (the #218 reference typo causes an infinite loop).
Go to Top of Page

Rabel

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  20:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robsterman

My first FF book was Citadel of Chaos, so that always has a warm, fuzzy feeling for me. However, I'd have to say that Creature of Havoc is the best FF book. That is, once you get out of the dungeon (the #218 reference typo causes an infinite loop).

What?!?!?! There was a typo?! No wonder I couldn't get out of the damn dungeon. What are the exact details of the typo?

Oh, and Jamie? You mentioned the Sorcery! Quintet. Please tell me that this was a typo and that you meant Quartet: if I discover there has been a fifth book, I might just scream...
Go to Top of Page

robsterman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  20:56:26  Show Profile  Visit robsterman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) You awaken in pain. What is going on? A Dwarf. Kill it. Nothing is to be learned

(185) Kill the Dwarf (TRANSLATE) and examine the body

(399) A hide with strange writing! (make a note of reference 337, to refer to once you know how to TRANSLATE)

(308) Roll a 1, 2 or a 3 on one die and go west. You enter a lit chamber ahead.

(205) You attack a party of adventurers . You kill the Hobbit (Sk:5 St:6) in 3 straight rounds.

(160) You eat the Hobbit. (TRANSLATE) Test your Luck.

(292) You kill the man in red robes (-2 Stamina) and fight the Armored Knight (Sk:8 St:9)

(446) You eat the man in red robes (restore Stamina). Flying creatures! A locked door.

(101) Roll 3-6 to break down the door. Corpses litter a cave where a battle took place. Something strange is happening..

(234) Roll 1, 2 or 3 to investigate the bodies further.

(447) There are invisible creatures eating the corpses!

(89) You must fight the Flesh Feeders (Sk:6 St:6/Sk:6 St:7/Sk:6 St:6)

(382) You discover a Flask among the bodies - (TRANSLATE) - A Vapour! (+2 Luck)

(51) You CHOOSE the west passage. You run into another party! Strongman (Sk:7 St:8)

(320) Fight the Warrior (Sk:7 St:7) and the Thief (Sk:8 St:6)

(281) Take the dull metal pendant; it can help you find secret doors

(306) If a passage begins "You cannot see a thing..." DEDUCT 20 from current reference (+1 Luck)

(115) Eat the bodies (+4 Stamina) You must descend a dangerous stairway to a stinky river

(166) Pass a Luck Test and cross the smelly Bilgewater river. Continue North.

(358) The cave becomes dark. You enter a large chamber.

(257) "You cannot see a thing..." Use your pendant. (257-20=???)

(237) Now, if a passage begins "You find yourself..." ADD 20 to the current reference (+1 Luck)

(458) Enter the secret cave. Take the green rock (club).

(110) A crystal club! (Make a note of reference 333 to use). Leave the chamber.

(257) Back in the dark - go west.

(309) You reach a junction. Go west again.

(280) Creatures approaching! Continue ahead.

(342) Two humans! Attack them.

(258) Warrior (Sk:8 St:9) and Fighter in Leather Armor (Sk:7 St:8)

(13) Poke through the sack that the first adventurer laid to one side

(147) A casket with a vial - another Vapour! (TRANSLATE)

(283) The Secret of the Code is revealed (make note of this reference) (+1 Luck)

(137) At the junction, head east to a sturdy locked door

(204) Use the ball to hit the plate

(435) A Rhino Man comes out. (TRANSLATE) You can understand him!

(62) Take his message (make note of Legionnaire 29 if you wish; not used in the solution) and leave

(298) Climb the stairs to a T-junction. Go east

(373) The corridor ends at two doors. Choose the left one.

(241) Two Blood Orcs and an old blind man (TRANSLATE). Fight the Orcs (Sk:7 St:7/Sk:8 St:7)

(7) A blind man (TRANSLATE) You can understand him!

(200) Hannicus gives you info and a Silver Ring to defeat Darramouss (+2 Luck)

(360) Do not give it back. (make note of instructions to defeat Darramouss)

(138) You leave the man and continue to another door...

(15) A creepy workroom with wooden boxes. Ignore them and leave the room.

(436) Choose the east door (quickest).

(49) A bridge over a smelly chasm. Test your Luck!

(457) You are Lucky! You ignore a side passage and continue eastwards

(122) Two doors at the end of a passage. Enter the north door.

(154) It's locked. Break it down. (-1 Stamina)

(396) A desk with parchments. Pick one up and read it.

(100) A powerful Rock Demon appears! Battle it.

(327) It's only an illusion cast on a mouse. Read the parchment.

(192) (TRANSLATE) Learn how to enter Marr's netherworld (subtract 93 at the suspected location)

(450) Leave through the door in the south wall - back to the hallway you entered from.

(263) You must charge the door to the east.(-1 Stamina) A Manic Beast! (Sk:7 St:8)

(209) Defeat the Beast and eat the human carcass.

(249) (+4 Stamina) 2 Gold Pieces. Drink the green liquid (Potion of Strength).

(318) (Restore Stamina to initial level). Leave.

(293) You arrive at a wooden door and hear voices. Creep slowly into the room.

(276) When you enter, you are surprised at what you see...

(161) Six dark arches ahead. Investigate the room further.

(104) (TRANSLATE) Someone is talking to you from an alcove. Enter.

(323) A creepy figure in the shadows (Chattermatter). Leave and try another archway.

(220) The next archway has a shower of strange dust. Investigate.

(56) You are showered with Elven Dust! (make note of this)

(405) Leave the recess and choose the north door.

(300) CLANG! A portcullis closes behind you. Crossroads. Take the west passage.

(213) A dead end. Use your pendant. (213+20=???) ("You find yourself..." is NOT stated!)

(233) A magical doorway opens! Step through.

(369) Darkness -- 4 ghostly faces appear. (TRANSLATE - and you'll be given a new direction)

(90) You confront Darramouss! Grab him? No! (90+50=???)

(140) You use your ring against him. Take the north secret passageway.

(184) Cross a bridge and confront an Dark-Eleven guard. Say you were allowed to leave.

(3) Make no gesture. He leaves to check with Darramouss.

(437) Remain where you are until the Elf returns.

(38) Darramouss couldn't be found. Give him your pendant (no more secret passageway finding!)

(442) You are granted exit from the dungeons! You come up in a creepy graveyard.

(123) Look around the old building - the three Women of Dree. They can help you learn your destiny.

(324) Accept their quest for Sculliweed Root. You sleep for the night. (+8 Stamina, +2 Luck)

(95) Head South. The peasant village of Coven. Leave along a street leading west.

(274) A man is fighting a Half-Orc. Assist the Half-Orc.

(291) Fight the village man (Sk:7 St:8). Grog the Half-Orc is your new companion.

(438) (While he's with you, subtract 52 from references ending with a 7 for bonuses.)

(107) There is a crossroads outside Coven

(107-52=55) Grog retrieves his special knapsack. He suggests going west to Rosina.

(177) You follow the trail to the countryside, where there is a hut.

(177-52=125) Grog points out that it is Rosina's hut. You enter.

(252) Rosina is a fortune teller. You pay her your 2 Gold Pieces.

(11) Your fortune is told. She tells of Sculliweed. She gives you a Rope (not needed). (+2 Luck)

(386) Back to the crossroads, you go north.

(130) Darkness falls. (+4 Stamina). Take the north-west trail. (The signpost is wrong).

(190) You enter a muddy swamp - "Bu Fon Fen".

(307) Two ways on: north and north-east. Choose north.

(307-52=255) Grog warns you about possible danger. (Rope not needed.)

(267) You chose north. You are being watched!

(267-52=215) Grog wants to leave this area.

(380) You investigate the plants by the side of the river

(106) You choose the plant with the blue stem (note the number 49 for this plant)

(18) You turn to leave, but the trail has disappeared! You follow the bank to a clearing.

(315) You confront a toad-creature with a trident. Fight it.

(145) Toadman (Sk:9 St:9)

(287) The Toadmen surround you! Is it the end?

(287-52=235) Grog comes to the rescue. You acquire his knapsack. (Potion of Fortune)

(92) Nightime again. You sleep and the Witch-Women of Dree come to you in a dream. You have a Sculliweed Root.

(92+49=141) Take note of everything they tell you. They give you a Ring of Truth. (restore Stamina to full.)

(423) You awaken in another forest area. Try to mount the strange 4-legged creature (Ophidiotaur).

(127) You must roll lower than your Skill score to succeed

(5) The Ophidiotaur takes you to a clearing in the forest.

(366) Two Brigands are attacking a white-haired Elf (Daga Weaseltongue). Help him.

(429) Brigands (Sk:8 St:9/Sk:8 St:7)

(448) The Elf seems deceptive. You decide to use the Ring of Truth

(269-50=219) You learn how to get onto the Galleykeep

(189) Set off through the undergrowth and look for a trap. Test your Luck.

(341) You are taken aboard the Galleykeep. Fight 2 Goblins (Sk:6 St:5/Sk:5 St:5) on the deck.

(312) You must choose a door. (Remember the Elf's poem? ) Choose the door with the Jug of Water.

(346) The captain's quarters! Investigate the mirror.

(422) Nothing special about the mirror... (Remember the Biography of Z. Marr?)

(422-93=329) You have found Zharradan Marr! You learn of your past...

(121) The mystery is beginning to unravel.

(199) He demands Grog's knapsack (Vapour of Life within). Refuse to give it.

(133) Zharradan starts casting a spell. You bathed in the Elven Dust.

(417) His spell fails.

(28) You have the Crystal Club!

(28+333=361) You shatter the mirror with the crystal club.

(460) Zharradan's portal is closed and all of your memories return.

Go to Top of Page

robsterman

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  20:57:38  Show Profile  Visit robsterman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were FIVE Sorcery books. However, the 5th book was simply a Sorcery spell book (which was reprinted in books 3 and 4).
Go to Top of Page

jamie

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  21:20:02  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By way of Quintet I was incorperating the old spell book as well
.... sorry if i was mis-leading in my posting

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD
Go to Top of Page

Hanuman

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  14:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I am just glad I have almost all of the world books (still missing Riddling Reaver)but it was Blacksand that gave me the most grief as I had lent the book to a friend and it was in his car when it got stolen. I tried for ages to find it again but to no avail,then strangely enough I found it in a musty old newsagency where it had been knocked under a shelf it was dusty but otherwise in good nick. When I asked the fellow at the counter how much it was he looked at me blankly for a second and then said " Wadda ya mean how much! we a don sella books ere, justa magazines an a newspapers,books pah" I blinked a couple of times closed my mouth and said "Oh sorry" and put five dollars on the counter and walked out when I looked back he had pocketed the fiver and gone back to reading his race guide.
I chalked the whole experience down to being some weird Fighting Fantasy Karma (never loaned it out again though).

Youth! We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of Smart!
Go to Top of Page
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Myriador Forums © 2002 Myriador Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000