Caverns of the Snow Witch
 New review at RPGnet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eternalknight

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  01:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9410.phtml

Another not so flattering one...

jamie

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  13:17:34  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope ... not at all flattering!!!, but may I point out to all those people who read this review that it was written by a guy who HATES Fighting Fantasy and openly tells everyone so.

I am afraid that a bad review was on the cards before he even put pen to paper.

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD
Go to Top of Page

Eryx

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  13:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Eryx's Homepage  Click to see Eryx's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Waiting for my copy of Snow Witch to turn up at the moment.

After reading the two reviews posted to these boards I'm very dissapointed that the reviewers did not think like roleplayers. Any DM worth his title is more likely than not going to change a fair amount of detail in these FF modules. He's going to give infomration to NPC's, modify items and traps...etc, and probably swap monsters for different ones.

I think that the only reason not to change aspects of these modules is if you want a pure FF experience. It really does seem lame of the reviewers not to consider this in their reviews.

Go to Top of Page

jamie

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  19:53:36  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Eryx

Well said

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  11:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eryx

Waiting for my copy of Snow Witch to turn up at the moment.

After reading the two reviews posted to these boards I'm very dissapointed that the reviewers did not think like roleplayers. Any DM worth his title is more likely than not going to change a fair amount of detail in these FF modules. He's going to give infomration to NPC's, modify items and traps...etc, and probably swap monsters for different ones.

I think that the only reason not to change aspects of these modules is if you want a pure FF experience. It really does seem lame of the reviewers not to consider this in their reviews.

That is exactly right.
Go to Top of Page

Eryx

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  01:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Eryx's Homepage  Click to see Eryx's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yay! Got my copy through the post this morning!

Only flicked through it so far, but it certainyl brought back some great memories.

Just got to get a copy of Firetop Mountains before the nexr modules come out.

Go to Top of Page

jamie

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:15:37  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eryx,

Glad your copy has arrived mate.

Please let us (and indeed the forum) know what you think of the d20 conversion and how closely (or not) you thought it was in comparison to Mr. Livingstone's Caverns of the Snow Witch.

Also, if you dont mind, please let us know how it played with your group and if they enjoyed the d20 Fighting Fantasy experience?

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD
Go to Top of Page

Eryx

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  01:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Eryx's Homepage  Click to see Eryx's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamie

Eryx,

Glad your copy has arrived mate.

Please let us (and indeed the forum) know what you think of the d20 conversion and how closely (or not) you thought it was in comparison to Mr. Livingstone's Caverns of the Snow Witch.

Also, if you dont mind, please let us know how it played with your group and if they enjoyed the d20 Fighting Fantasy experience?

As a matter of fact I've just finished reading it. Good timing eh?

Its been a good few years since I last read the FF book but everything I remembered was in there. The two reviews already posted are right in that the module is a direct conversion with everything laying in a straigh forward railroaded path. However, despite this, I stand by my view that taken as a traditional D&D module it will work very well with changes made by the DM to fit in with a regular campaign.

Unfortunately, my current campaign has moved along beyond the levels of this module, so I will have to wait until my next campaign at least before I can run it. Unless of course, I find the need for a one off adventure. Something this module would be very good for I think, as its just about the right length for an evenings 4-5 hours play.

When I have managed to run it I will most certainly post the results.

Go to Top of Page

MikeDymond

67 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  19:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eryx

Its been a good few years since I last read the FF book but everything I remembered was in there. The two reviews already posted are right in that the module is a direct conversion with everything laying in a straigh forward railroaded path. However, despite this, I stand by my view that taken as a traditional D&D module it will work very well with changes made by the DM to fit in with a regular campaign.

Unfortunately, my current campaign has moved along beyond the levels of this module, so I will have to wait until my next campaign at least before I can run it. Unless of course, I find the need for a one off adventure. Something this module would be very good for I think, as its just about the right length for an evenings 4-5 hours play.

When I have managed to run it I will most certainly post the results.

You have just managed to sum up in two paragraphs exactly what we set out to do with this product range. With a little bit of effort on the part of the DM they can be fitted into most campaigns or they can be run as a one off adventure in an evening or two! And above all else they should bring back memories of your childhood with your nose stuck into the original FF books.

I look forward to hearing your thought once you have played them through and I hope that you get just as much enjoyment out of Deathtrap Dungeon and the Sorcery series when they are release din a week or two.

Cheers Mike
Managing Director
Myriador Ltd
Go to Top of Page

Eryx

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Eryx's Homepage  Click to see Eryx's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanx. I'm not a very good reviewer but I certainly enjoyed reading the module and remembering it in the FF format.

I'm looking forward to the next set of books. When I can slot them in, I'm sure my players will love the refresh as well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Myriador Forums © 2002 Myriador Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000